Sunday 8 September 2019

The Phoenix Ascension Adjustable DOC - 316L Stainless


Funny story behind this one. I recently made a purchase of the All-stainless steel Phoenix Ascension Double Open-Comb Adjustable razor from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. I have never owned an open-comb razor, let alone a double open-combed one.
So, I decided to purchase one based on a few reviews from a few YouTube wet-shavers that I follow. It's a unique open comb razor as it is "Adjustable," meaning that the blade gap can be adjust based on a half twist before tightening the razor fully. They all seemed to say that this razor in very unique in look and feel, and as any wet-shaver would do, I watched these videos countless times until I said to myself, "I need this razor!"

I was tracking the delivery of this thing for a few weeks via USPS. Now in saying this, I live all the way in Australia, so it usually takes quite a while for stuff to get delivered all the way down-under. Four weeks later, there was no sign of delivery! I tracked this thing all the way to Turkey, and it did not move forward. As anyone would do, I emailed the kind people at Phoenix and mentioned the situation. They replied that the odds of this missing razor arriving to Australia were very slim, so they kindly shipped out another razor to me.

Now here is the thing, when I received delivery of the razor, I had 2 boxes the same shape and size. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened both boxes, and here were 2 Ascensions! Immediately, I thought, 'What am I going to do with 2 razors?' I have a friend who is an avid collector of safety razors with whom I asked if they would like it, and they accepted. They agreed with me in saying that this razor was a very efficient razor, taking down nearly a week's worth of whisks in a pass.

A bit of history and make-up

This razor is based upon the the Original DOC (Double Open-Comb) razor that Phoenix Originally developed. with tweaks made upon the original design based on customer feedback. Tweaks such as:
  • Being built with 316L marine-grade stainless steel instead of aluminum, in essence bringing added longevity and some hefty 98 grams overall weight to its handle (72 grams) and head (26 grams)
  • Adjustable razor head gap. Now remember, this isn't adjustable in the sense of being a Gillette Fatboy or Model T. Both of those razor's bade plates are straight, and hence allow the pressure of the top cap to bare down on the base plate, forcing the blade to bend down and become more aggressive. The make up of the head (top cap and base-plate) on the Ascension DOC is curved, meaning that this definition of "Adjustable" refers to how much pressure the base-plate applies to the blade when tightening the handle ever-so slightly, so that the more the blade bends, the more aggressive the shave. The razor head does not lock into fixed points which allows for this to happen, unlike any other razor on the market.

     
  • Improved DOC self-lubricating top cap. Yes, this is the best part, being able to have the ability to lather up, and leave a trial of lubrication behind your razor strokes and continue to push the shave cream over the face, in essence keeping the face slick. Couple this with finger tabs on each end that fall into the contours of the razor blade, you don't have any blade exposed on either end for a more finished look.

 

The Shaving Experience

This thing shaves like a treat. I have to say that this has become my daily driver for the past month, and I haven't even had to question
the razor I was going to chose before a shave. I get rash-free, irritation free, BBS shaves in 2 passes without the need buff over at the end. Even better is the razor's ability to keep my face slick with the DOC working through the lather, allowing for do-overs as well.

Fitting in the blade was a little tricky, as you have to somewhat push the blade down into the bottom of the top cap blade divots, which do hold the blade in place for the bottom cap to be screwed on with the handle following.

The knurling on the handle allowed for a slip-free experience, granted that your fingers are not soapy. It is beautifully designed and offers a bomb-tip at the end of the handle.

Overall, with the wight of the razor comes in at 98 grams and isn't too heavy considering what it is built of. The weight adds to the overall prestige and worthiness of the razor, and whilst shaving, the weight of the razor significantly aides in the maneuverability of the razor across the face.

As far as design cues are concerned, the razor offers up a Phnx DOC insignia at the bottom of the base plate which is laser printed in, adding to the overall prestige, kind of like how the Rex Ambassador offers their own insignia.

The razor also comes with a beautiful razor polishing cloth allowing or the razor to be kept in tip-top shape, keeping in line with the longevity of the razor. Might I suggest, taking care of all your razors, regardless of what they are as they are built to take care of you!


Overall, I LOVE this razor. It is a very efficient razor, a well built razor, an heirloom razor that can be passed on to your loved ones or a friend in need. I highly recommend this razor to anyone in the marked for an open-comb razor.
















No comments:

Post a Comment