Sunday 25 June 2017

Multiple Mail Calls - Feather SS Shavette, 1970 Gillette Black Beauty

So, I kind of went on a bit of a spree, and why not!? Right? I mean, there are so many great types of Wet shaving hardware and software out there, why not try them all! Just Kidding...... Or am I?

Well, first thing's first. The school holidays are near for the good folk in Victoria, Australia, and with them comes the incessant hours of boredom. What is there to do? How the hell do I make the 2 weeks go by nice and fast? Don't get me wrong. I love, love, love the holidays and I am grateful to have them, but hey, a man has to do something to pass the time.

Thank goodness for things like free samples! So many new scents and fragrances of new shaving creams, soaps and aftershave colognes to try. And how about those many types of blades? But how far can you go, right?

Well, thank goodness for places like The Stray Whisker, and the many loved and admired wet shavers out there on the web, broadcasting their love for this hobby on places such as YouTube, giving me the inspiration to keep exploring these ever-evolving products within the wet shaving community.

I would like to give specific praise to the following YouTube channels! Guys, give these guys a great looking into as they provide great service, much needed humor, experience, insight and demonstrations of some of the best pieces of hardware and software in the wet shaving community.
Now with the Mail Calls that I have recently received. I have heard much of the Feather Artist Club SS Straight Razor, mostly raving reviews from some the above YouTube Channels. This gave me the inspiration to see so for myself.



It is a Shavette that requires the installation and use of Artist Club blades. Most shavettes these days use a DE blade that has been snapped in half through the spine, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Although, due to the Artist Club blades being thicker and a bit longer, they give a more wider area of coverage within your shaves and also last a lot longer than the traditional DE blade (DE - 3 to 4 Shaves, Artist Club - 7-10 shaves) due to the sheer thickness. But as is the case with most things wet shaving, this is subjective, based on beard thickness, growth, and technique.

I must say that I am excited to use this shavette. It has design qualities that I admire, such as the matte finish on the stainless steel, the clasp which allows you to insert and change blades easier, and a slight curve near the blade insertion cavity which pushes down your skin during shaves so that the blade can cut closer.



Ingenious really.

The second part of my mail call is the acquisition of the Gillette Adjustable Black Beauty (Circa 1970 P3).
 
I am really into my vintage razors, much so that I have at least 8 of them in my collection. This was a must get, must have razor due to the adjustable nature of it. I have a 1950's Gillette Adjustable Fat-boy and also have the Rockwell Model T adjustable on the way.


I was debating getting the Parker Variant Black handle version, but compared to the Black Beauty, personally, it was no match. Plus, it has the black handle as well, and I do not own a razor with a black handle (bar the RazoRock Black Hawk SE).

I have already went through my razor cleaning, sanitation and sterilization process with this razor, and my goodness did it ever turn out amazing. Whom ever owned this razor before must have taken good care of it, that's for sure. I have already had one shave with this and I must say, I am really happy with it.

As for a final review on both of these for my personal opinion, I like to do at least 3 - 4 shaves with a razor with varying degrees of Whisker thickness and different blades / settings. That way I know that when I am giving you guys advice on a razor, it is a heartfelt and thorough opinion. I will be doing reviews on both of these shavers within the month or so, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment