Tuesday 30 October 2018

Mail Call - PAA Ecliptic with Multiple Goodies!

Mail Call! Whenever I get a delivery from a store like Italian Barber (italianbarber.com), it immediately feels like Christmas.
It's been a long time since I have received a mail call such as this, in this size. As discussed in my previous post, I've essentially waned off ordering shaving supplies as simply, other things came to the forefront. 

Since the dust is clearing up, I have decided to order some new products for the readers of this blog to see my opinions on. 

I ordered 6 new after shave lotions, all of which I have been chasing for some time. Dr Jon's aftershave lotions are my favorite of all, as they contain an additional ingredient with which I think is essential to any aftershave routine. Alum!

Alum, along with Witch Hazel, Rose Water, Glycerin and Aloe Vera, allow for tightening of the skin, whilst also locking in the essential healing properties of Aloe Vera in the skin with the disinfecting nature of Witch Hazel. To top it off, these all have included added Menthol which adds a nice cold, cooling affect, not dissimilar to strong cold wind brushing over the cold rain which is sitting on your skin. That sounds right, right? I quite love these aftershaves, and they smell absolutely wonderful. Scents that last a day or more always work very well with me! Most of all, these feel great and are great for the skin.

Along with these, I have also ordered an aftershave lotion that I have been chasing after for a few years now. Every time I go after ordering it, it has always been SOLD OUT. This is the Razorock "The Stallion" aftershave lotion. I own the shave soap of the same scent, and by goodness, the scent is absolutely divine. A true cologne scent, reminiscent of a very expensive Italian cologne. Think of walking into a David Jones or Myer or Macy's perfume section, and spraying on something that you know that you can't afford, but you do it anyway. And not just a bit, a shit load. Yeap, that's the scent of The Stallion. An amazing scent that lasts, and adds a bit of class to your shaving ensemble. Even slapping a bit on your face before work, without having a shave, adds a nice pick me up for the day.


In this Mail Call, I have purchased:

  1. Dr Jon's Defiance:

    Part 2 of 3 in the Cold War Series of Dr Jon's Soaps and Aftershaves, with a base of Mandarin and Sandalwood, and built upon with sharp notes of all spice and black pepper. I personally like this scent for all seasons, but is more suited to cool or cold weather applications. Reminds me of the woods after a while of having it on and wearing it off. If you have ever tried The Sudsy Soapery's Citrus and Bay shave soap, this would be a very perfect companion as the spicy notes match, nearly as a like for like.
  2. Dr Jon's Hydra:

    I have had this one for a few years, and love its affect on adding a lighter, citrus tone after a shave on a hot or warmer day. I decided to get more, as this one struck a chord with me. It contains a base of lime and lemon with top notes of mandarin and orange peel, bergamot and sharp notes of grapefruit.
  3. Dr Jon's Classic (My Personal, Timeless Favorite):

    My absolute personal favorite, and actually my first ever aftershave which has stuck by me scent appeal wise, but also through my many wet shaving journeys. It's a great companion to all shave soaps, and reminds me of a real, old-time barbershop scent. Base notes of Bergamot, Rosemary, Lavender, Lime and sharp notes of Cedar and Vetiver all compliment each other very well to produce the quintessential barber shop smell.
  4. Razorock's 'The Stallion':

    What can I say? I have wanted this aftershave scent for so long to pair up with my Stallion shave soap. It's so hard to come by as the scent is quite popular. The scent matches the shaving soap to a tee, which is a compliment to Razorock, as most aftershave so not match their counterparts in shave soaps.

    This aftershave tonic is apparently very reminiscent to that of the Acqua Di Parma cologne? Listen guys, I'm not too sure what the cologne smells like, probably can't afford it to be honest. It sounds expensive for a simpleton like me, but this aftershave smells like a punch of Italian cologne to the face, and I quite like it. It is something I would not wear every day, as I would not want to waste it! Although, I can see myself pairing this aftershave with a nice suit, shirt and tie ready to enjoy the night out. A fantastic, sweet scent.
  5. Dr Jon's 1803:

    A fantastic scent, reminiscent to me of a fruity punch bowl blend that gets toned down with a smokey scent of teak wood, as well as a hint of spice. The sweetness of Pineapple and peach are the winners in this scent and when they wear off, the top floral tones add a levity to the tonic, something that is pleasant after a morning shave in spring. I love it.
  6. Barrister and Mann Eventide:

    This scent, I am not too sure about it. A whiff from the bottle gives me memories of a medicinal, alcohol type scent. Lets just say, I'm not over-drawn to it, although I can understand the appeal with the agar wood tones, but it smells a lot like tar to me. I can pick up the amber base to it, but to me, I need to really give this one a few weeks of repeat attempts to see how I adapt to this. I think its due to the current season we are in within Melbourne, which is spring. Its definitely more of a winter scent. I'll keep you guys posted on this.
  7. PAA Alpha Ecliptic Slant Action Safety Razor (Black Aluminum) :

    This razor intrigued me, not only because it's a slant head razor, as I already have a few or these; but because of the way this razor holds the DE Blade within it's somewhat unique Humpback Design. It is designed by an Artisan shaving supply company called Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/) which supplies and creates their own fantastic shaving hardware and software.

    It was a long lost design based on a very rare humpback head safety razor, developed some multiple decades ago, by a company long vanished (as many are), Walbusch & Sohnes. The DE Blade in this razor is angled diagonally, so that the user has an accurate guide with which to Navigate the blade over the face. Unlike typical slant head razors, the blade in this razor is not torqued, and allows the blade to slide very close to the face with its wide blade gap.


    The design wants you to keep the wrist straight whilst letting the shape of the humpback change the angle variably without the wet shaver knowing. It is a very smooth shaver, so far giving me numerous comfortable shaves. It is also made of an anodized 7075 aluminium, which comes in black or bronze, meaning that this very well made and classic looking razor is light weight, easy to control and will not rust or corrode. I'll be reviewing this safety razor very soon. So far, it's a great smooth shaver. I will review this one more closely, very soon!
Overall, my descriptions are subjective and they are my personal opinion as to what my nose and what my experiences with these products are, although you might agree with some. Can't wait to share more with you as time comes.




No comments:

Post a Comment