Tuesday 20 November 2018

What's makes a great DE Blade?

When it comes to a Double Edge (DE) safety razor blade, there are a plethora of choice brands out there from a variety of blade manufacturers. Considering that a few of these brands are subsidiaries of other major brands, one must ask the question, "is there much difference?"
One must also keep in mind that if you are testing one type of DE Blade in multiple types of Safety Razors, significantly different results or outcomes can be achieved by using the same blade. This is in part to different aggressiveness levels and blade angles.

Factoring this in, you must also consider the facial preparation before a shave, the slickness of lather that you are applying to the face, the sensitivity level of skin, as well as the subjective opinion of wet shave bloggers, such as myself, on topics such as these.

Questions including, "Did I prep my face well? ... Is this lather too thick, too thin, or too dry? ... Do I need to use a shave cream that is natural, vegan, or off the shelf in a can? ...  Do I suffer from Allergic or chemical reactions? ... Is my technique okay? " ... These questions can go on forever, and one only knows how their own technical ability, personal choice and decision making processes can affect their shaving choices.

Some might even say that wet shavers are a collective hive over thinkers? Who needs them, right?

As someone very wise once said to me, "Opinions are like a*se h*les. Everybody has one". I find that this rings true to me, and if so.... Should I even continue with this post? Yeah, I will, because that's my opinion. See what I did there?

After years of wet shaving and testing numerous brands of DE blades, I can personally attest to the subjectivity of many things in the wet shaving world. For now, it is DE blades. In this instance, "What's in a great DE blade?"

I have to admit that over the years, I have acquired and also use numerous brands of DE blade, including brands such as Polsilver, Gillette NACET, Voskhod, Feather Hi-Stainless, Merkur, Astra, KAI, Wilkinson Sword, and many more. The first ever blade I have ever used was the Merkur blade that came inside my Merkur 34c, and AT THE TIME (in all my inexperienced glory), I hated it. Now this viewpoint is "Lathered" in subjectivity, as for one, I was an inexperienced we shaver. A surgical instrument made and sent from Planet Kypton itself, couldn't have saved my face from what was to come.

Second of All, my technique was all wrong, from facial prep, lathering and strokes of the safety razor onto my face. I thought that this gig was easy, and yes, it was, if all I wanted to achieve was to whip up a "mediocre at best" lather, and carving at my face like it was picasso's last painting! But seriously though, how could I blame the DE Blade?

Fun fact, trying the same blade within the exact same safety razor, 2 years on, has given me one of the best shaves I have ever had! How's that for subjectivity! My initial view on the blade was that it was a very harsh blade that was not too friendly on sensitive skin, and my view now is that it is a smooth blade that on the aggressiveness scale is a 3/5, but provides a BBS shave in 2 passes, no sweat. Perfect for the sensitive skin spectrum.

As the years have gone by, and as I have got better over a steady period of time within wet shaving technique, I must admit that I now favor two brands of blade; the Gillette NACET and the KAI DE blades.

The Gillette NACET was a blade which I came across after having a long discussion on the subject of DE shaving with my grandfather, a subject matter with which he has quite some knowledge on. He was an avid wet shaver in the past, and in his younger years in Malta, he came across this brand of safety razor blade and never went back. "The pack with the Crocodile on the front, that's what I've used. They were the sharpest, most smooth blade I have ever used."


That's what he said, and he even showed me the last 5 pack of NACET blades he had kept all these years, simply because he couldn't find them any more. In fact, this was one of the factors which made him stop wet shaving for years, as he did not want to risk using another blade.

I was lucky enough to find them at Italian Barber and as soon as I had seen them, I ordered a pack of 100 blades. This cost me around $30 AUD. I can say that after using them, I could tell that these were the most comfortable, smooth, yet sharpest blades that I have ever used. This judgement was made after just one shave, and immediately afterwards, I ordered another 100 blades on top. All together, $60 AUD well spent in my opinion.

These blades are exquisite, and in my opinion, my blade of choice. I have sensitive skin myself, and prone to ingrown hairs if I use a blade that is very aggressive with little give on the skin.  In my opinion, ingrown hairs are caused by this aggressive removal of the layers of epidermal tissue on the skin, very fine as they may be, and the hairs being trapped under one's skin as the skin heals. These blades are the perfect medium of aggressiveness and smoothness, allowing me to have a daily shave without the pain of razor burn and aggressive removal of skin on the face in the process. Don't get me wrong, a BBS shave is always offered.

Granted, as most would say, all of this depends on shaving preparation and technique. I must say that I have to agree, although there is a reason why there are hundreds of DE Blade brands out there on the market, and out of them all, there is always one that suits your style of shaving and skin sensitivity. This is definitely my choice of the bunch, my pick of the stack. Give these a go, as I have a feeling that you won't be disappointed!

What is your favourite DE razor blade?




















No comments:

Post a Comment