Sunday 12 May 2019

The Modern Classic - Rockwell Model T Review

The 3 year wait is finally over. After much anticipation, this Indiegogo funded project is now a reality. Here it is guys, the Rockwell Model T Safety Razor.


These types of projects very rarely cross the finish line when anticipated, if at all. Yes, this particular project is 2 years overdue, but you know, I wouldn't of had this any other way, personally. It is Designed and Assembled in Canada, not China. Overheads are more costly, and the R&D that goes into these types of tools is extensive. I did not want another rushed, imperfect and sub-par product, like so many others.

This piece of equipment should last a lifetime, so if this is to be the case, I am more than happy that this project took as long as it did. Good things take time, and this razor is not just good, it's great!

Rockwell Razors pride themselves on their unique take on the traditional safety razor, with creating tools that last a lifetime and eventually will become heirlooms.Their tagline on their site specifically states that they want to provide their customers with the "Last razor you'll ever want to use". I have got to hand it to them, the Rockwell Model T might just be that razor.

My razor came in a very nice White Chrome finish, which I think is timeless, kind of like the older Gillette Fatboy razors of yesteryear. You can also choose from another 2 finishes, namely Gunmetal Grey and Brushed Chrome. The finish is impeccable, not one imperfection on the chrome plating which is rare nowadays. The tolerances are tight, not wriggle in the working parts. The razor also came in a beautiful, leather case with embossed Rockwell Razors logo and polished metal edging. Inside the case is the razor, a pack of DE Blades and a Leather DE Blade holder.

A curiosity that I would like to point out is the razor head size, specifically how long the razor head is and how the DE Blade looks when sitting in the blade enclosure.


Although, I think the enclosure on the Model T (Top Left) is longer because the good people at Rockwell wanted to hide the edges of the DE Blade, which is notable and noticeable in other adjustable TTO razors, such as in the Gillette Razor (Top Right). I like this touch, because it just looks refined.

I have to also note that the DE blade itself sits nice and snug, with no "chatter" at all. Very tight and fine tolerances which I appreciate and I know, took some time for the good people at Rockwell to perfect. Yes, there were a lot of Indiegogo updates due to this, but hell, it does not matter when you have a product with such fine finish as this. Again, a bit of extra wait time, but worth it for these little "One Percenters".


The Balance of the Razor is great, mainly near the bottom of the adjustment dial which is great as little to no pressure needs to be applied when shaving, using the weight of the razor.


The knurling of the handle is fantastic and when wet, does not slip from the fingers at all. I have to say that the TTO mechanism is a little stiff, but with a little oiling, and some TLC, will loosen up with ongoing use.
I have shaved with this razor for the best part of a week, and have paired this razor each time with my favorite DE Blade, the Gillette Nacet. I have also used the Number 5 Setting, which is my usual go-to setting with adjustable razors. 

The First shave, I had a day's growth and with a new Nacet Blade, on setting 5. Upon shaving, I seriously didn't feel the razor on my face working through the shave cream. I thought that I was not using the razor correctly, but indeed I was. A BBS shave in 1 Pass against the grain. Very close and comfortable with no irritation.

The Second notable shave, 3 days in, I had 3 days worth of beard which for me, is around 5 mm long. Using the same blade as the first shave, I then had another comfortable 3 pass shave with no irritation. This thing just sliced the hair off with little effort.

The Third notable shave, 4 days in, I had a day's growth and just like the first shave, impeccable.

I have to say that, after much anticipation. this razor has not let me down in the shaving arena. I have been using it every single day, as opposed to my other 25 vintage and modern safety razors, I get no irritation with this razor. I have sensitive skin, so for me, this means something that is more important than anything.

To Gareth and the good people at Rockwell, THANK YOU! WHOLE-HEARTEDLY! You have made a modern classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment